Welcome to my passion!

My passion is food. I have always enjoyed cooking and trying out different types of cuisine from every place around the world. Being a Malaysian one may agree that food is the first thing that comes on their mind. I think if I had the chance to do anything I would travel all over the world and taste all the wonderful delicacies that can be found. So here is my blog where I will be exploring a variety of recipes and testing out different ingredients, restaurants I have visited and worth reviewing and also my very own home cooked dishes.

Thursday 22 March 2012

The Spot Soul Food Kitchen

Big Mamas Kitchen

Today me and my friend Charlotte went to try out some soul food which is traditional African American food. Soul food became popular in the 1960s and is commonly known as slave food that was left over from the plantation. The African American slaves cooked with 'greens' such as collards, kale, cress, mustard and pokeweed. Discarded cuts of meat is also used in their cooking such as pig's feet, oxtail, ham hocks, pigs ears, pigs intestines, tripe and skin. 

We went to "The Spot" in Kilburn. Visit website: www.thespotfood.com



The place is rather like a fast food takeaway with about four tables and the food is served in polystyrene boxes with plastic knives and forks, (this is probably why the food was so cheap as they can save on washing up costs). Nonetheless, the food was tasty although not presented in the most classiest way. It reminded me of Big Mamas Kitchen and the lady who came out of the kitchen was an African quite chubby woman who I assumed is the main chef hehe.

Spicy Ribs, Macballs and Candid Yams
MacBalls - Macaroni Cheese in a crispy fried ball

Meat Gumbo, Mac Cheese and Mash


Sweet Potato Pie with vanilla ice cream



No comments:

Post a Comment