Welcome to my passion!

My passion is food. I have always enjoyed cooking and trying out different types of cuisine from every place around the world. Being a Malaysian one may agree that food is the first thing that comes on their mind. I think if I had the chance to do anything I would travel all over the world and taste all the wonderful delicacies that can be found. So here is my blog where I will be exploring a variety of recipes and testing out different ingredients, restaurants I have visited and worth reviewing and also my very own home cooked dishes.

Saturday 17 March 2012

Another Korean Meal

It seems like I can't get enough of Korean food. I love it so much I will never get sick of it because it's just so tasty. Today I went to Sarang in Golders Green with my family. It used to be called Kimchee a while ago and has now changed it's name to Sarang but fortunately everything is exactly the same even the menu. Each table has its own BBQ grill in the centre which is what we went for. 

Firstly we had some side dishes which included kimchee (spicy pickled cabbage), pickled vegetables and seasoned beansprouts in sesame oil. We also had a bowl of seaweed soup each which is something similar to the Japanese miso soup.





The Korean tea we drank has a different sort of flavour to other oriental teas and tastes quite nutty. Korean tea can be made from fruits, leaves, roots or grains. The one served to us was roasted rice tea called Hyeonmi cha (현미차).

Fried meat dumplings with sweet vinegar sauce
Spicy rice cakes with seafood
Jap Che - Stir fried glass noodles with vegetables




Now we come to the mains which is my favourite Korean BBQ meat. We ordered three different types of meat; beef, pork and chicken. 


This is Bul Go Gi - thin slices of beef marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, garlic, pepper, sesame oil  and topped with onions. It is one of the most popular Korean BBQ dishes and the meat is very tender and sweet.





Apart from the BulGoGi we also had Daeji Bulgogi (spicy marinated pork) and Dak Bulgogi (specially marinated cuts of chicken). All three meats were cooked on this hot barbeque plate which was very fun to watch. The waiter cooks it infront of you on the table and the smell is just wonderful. 

My father attempting to cook the meat himself
Of course I could not eat Korean food without ordering my favourite Dolsot BiBimBap (assorted rice in a stone pot). As always I went for the beef one with a raw egg that cooks once the rice is all mixed together. The stone bowl is so hot that the rice sizzles and must be constantly turned so that it doesnt go hard at the bottom. Mix it with some chilli paste and it tastes so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment